Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Love's First Kiss

  • It's been over a year since I went to Home Depot for Paint and I've had this gallon of Indian Pink, called "Love's First Kiss" sitting on the floor next to my bed ever since. It's not unlike me to want to bring new energy into my life, more passion a freshness etc. But lacing exuberance, I let it sit for a year! It's just that there is always something else to be done or something else I'd rather do, but since I've been feeling low lately, I've decided to take drastic measures and paint out the old and bring in the new! and so far I love it!
  • When I first moved to California with my mother in 1981, I remember the awe I felt being in Hollywood. I had always relished watching the show, "That's Hollywood" with all it's glamour and musicality, the sheer drama of the production brought me close to busting with excitement and now here I was in the land of dreams.
  • What I realized very quickly was that I was not like everyone else. Being raised in Michigan, boys were not allowed to wear pink. I was shocked at the freedom of color my gender displayed. Not only did the boys wear Pink, but they seemed almost technicolor when compared to my muted tones and dreary wardrobe. Not only was it the clothing, but it was the flamboyant body language, but the swags of bleached hair! I was actually shocked and fearful to be around such freedom of expression. I feel somewhat sad now, looking back on this, to the boy I once was. I really was very repressed.
  • I was only 13 years old then and fast forward 27 years to today, I'm painting my bedroom pink. I'm sure that from the outside this is no revolution. But When I think how I was raised to believe it was wrong for a male to wear pink, I shudder.
  • Did you know that what we've been taught as the gender color code for Girls..Pink and Boys...Blue, was actually the opposite at one time? Pink was considered a watered down version of Red and was associated with power and masculinity. Blue was commonly chosen for Girls as a cooler, more passive color, reflective of ideals of Femininity.
  • Imagine all this Hogwash, that I would be so overcome with fear doubt and insecurity by boys wearing Pink. What else do I believe about life that is Hogwash do you suppose? How about the idea that a man should not love and make love to another man?
  • Imagine Love's First Kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment